Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Editing and Other Problems

Editing is pure aggravation when it begins involving the elements of writing.

I can do the fixing of grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes, time order mistakes, even the occasional paragraph that sounds out of place and needs to find a new home. But when it comes to whether or not the scene works as a hook to make the reader read further, the dialog sounds natural and smooth, whether all the events logically run from one to the other, and whether the description is too much or too little--hair-raising if you ask me. This is just the cream off the top of the milk. Other problems involve whether my characters are acting right, looking right, moving right, and talking right--WOW--this is truly mind-boggling. What to put in and what to leave out is the question.

Such is editing, but without it, the whole book can be ruined.

Wish me luck. This is a very slow process for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment